Infertility – Frequently Asked Questions
Capital Women’s Care specializes in infertility treatments and procedures at our office in Germantown, MD. If you would like more information on the services we provide, please call our office, or schedule an appointment to speak with your provider. For more information about infertility, please call (301) 681-3400 to schedule you appointment today or use our online secure form!
What is infertility?
- Most experts define infertility as not being able to get pregnant after at least one year of trying.
- Women who are able to get pregnant but then have repeat miscarriages are also said to be infertile.
Pregnancy is the result of a complex chain of events. In order to get pregnant:
- A woman must release an egg from one of her ovaries (ovulation).
- The egg must go through a fallopian tube toward the uterus (womb).
- A man’s sperm must join with (fertilize) the egg along the way.
- The fertilized egg must attach to the inside of the uterus (implantation).
Infertility can result from problems that interfere with any of these steps.